Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chapter 3: Early Native American Poetry

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

            To start my post about early Native American poetry, I decided to share my all-time favorite poem by William Carlos Williams.  This poem frustrated so many of my friends in high school, yet I am as entranced, dumbfounded, and filled with excitement today as I was over a decade ago.

            I still cannot understand Williams’ intent, and I don’t think that I want to.  I tend to shy away from online analyses because I enjoy the mystery in trying to unravel the imagery.

            One of the reasons behind my adoration for this poem is because of the meaning I find each time I read it.  My understanding tends to vary depending on my mood, my surroundings and other factors.  Perhaps though, the most significant issue related to this poem is the memory I have of debating it with my mother.

            We are very similar my mother and I, but we sharply disagreed when it came to this poem.  I remember the satisfaction in flustering her with my interpretation and her walking away because for the first time, I felt like she viewed my as an intellectual adult.  Since then she has ‘schooled’ me multiple times on other poems and works of art, but the memory of that debate is what makes this poem special.  Early Native American poetry is rooted in meaning making events such as this but, “…no body of American literature receives less attention in our classrooms.” (29)

            Poems, like songs, carry spiritual, religious and cultural meanings. Particular tribal groups would create and use poems for specific purposes.  Goebel provides a list of categories that many of these poems fit into:
·       Religious songs
·       Hunting songs
·       Medicine songs
·       Dream songs
·       Lullabies
·       Gambling/game songs
·       Personal achievement songs
·       Love songs
·       War songs
·       Social dance songs
·       Honor songs (30)
The author then goes on to express various ideas on how to read Native American poetry for non-native classrooms. 

            As a teacher in a Jicarilla Apache school, introducing the meaning behind the poems may appear to be a task that carries little value as the students are well aware of what the poems are used for.

            An idea that I did take away from this section was an activity that looked into the elements found in Native American poetry.  Some of the elements listed below can be found independently or with others depending upon the meaning or the author’s intent.  The most common elements are:
·       Repetition and parallel structure
·       Concrete natural images
·       Conciseness of sentence length and length o song
·       Frequently reflect a spiritual commitment, even in humorous songs
·       Imply a tribal, public audience that already understands context
·       Avoid the personal intellectualizing of much European and American poetry (33).


            At this time, I must be completely honest.  Until this chapter, I was grossly unaware of culturally relevant poetry as a form of literature that could be used in my instruction; partly because I have little to no exposure to it and partly because of my ignorance to its existence.  The chapter ends with a quote that sums up my sheepish feelings, “If you have an idea in mind of what ‘Indian Literature’ is, I suggest you reconsider” – Wendy Rose (37)

3 comments:

  1. I think it is fantastic that you are looking to include more Native poetry in your classroom. I must admit, I never really thought to include this either. I also think in addition to the books suggestions, one other that you have mentioned before is gaining the perspective of your students. Who better to understand the deeper meaning than that which the children draw from it. I was speaking with a teacher in an ESL class and she was afraid to ask her kids what a word meant. She eventually did and the kids were so excited to teach her. She thought she might lose report by asking, but realized that she actually gained it. I think this is a great strategy, especially if you are teaching Native children that speak a different language. Ask them for reflections on the poems, and how those poems may have a unique relation to their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up, I never really enjoyed poetry because I always felt like I just didn't get it. This is my 1st year teaching and I know I shouldn't shy away from it. My students are all native as well and I never thought before about using Native poetry in my classroom. My school district in Zuni really wants to incorporate the children's culture into the curriculum. I have a educational assistant in my class at all times who is also certified to teach Zuni to the students. This post is making me want to go and ask her about Zuni poetry that we could share with the class during a poetry unit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of your disagreement with your mom regarding the poem. It reminds me of why I love teaching Language Arts, because I truly believe there is often not one "right" answer when it comes to literature. I think you have an interesting idea when it comes to looking at various aspects of the literature, rather than meaning, which the students will already be familiar with.

    ReplyDelete