Thursday, October 17, 2013

Chapter 2 - First Encounters and the Language of Race

This chapter, as you can probably surmise from the title, deals with the ever controversial Christopher Columbus and his policy of eradication and subjugation. 

It’s true that his policies and the policies that followed directly influence my students today; however, I found that this chapter dealt more with the definition of ‘race’ and Columbus and his perception in society than impact on language and reading, so I have chosen not to spend too much time on it in this blog.  The notes I took from this section belong in a history blog more than a literacy-oriented web log.


The following chapter on Native American poetry is much more interesting and relevant, so I will focus more on that in the next posting.

6 comments:

  1. I would probably thought the same thing. I think that "Columbus" to me is very degrading on how he is the savior of the "Indians."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alvina. I get pretty upset when we only teach the one side of his legacy. That is of course the legacy that he created for himself and subsequently became canon.

      Delete
  2. Your book should be interesting to review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But the notion of race is important to the teaching of literature. Is there anything relevant to your teaching situation? Why would we want to include Native American literature in education?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I briefly touched upon the 'why's' in the post about Chapter 1 in regards to showing value for Native stories to Native students that their tribal history is just as important as the mainstream culture that they see in their textbooks on a daily basis.

      I replied to Alvina's comment I wish I would have put it in the post itself; that Columbus' accounts were the only ones available, therefore they became truth.

      Delete
  4. This is interesting because I am also in a Native School. On Columbus Day, one of my students asked if I celebrate Columbus Day. I really did not know how to answer, so I answered truthfully, "No", but I wonder how many of my students really gave special attention to the day. I know growing up this day was not celebrated in any of my schools. I'm not fully sure, but I don't think the students learn only Columbus' point of view because the history classes are geared towards Native American History. Would be interesting to find out.

    ReplyDelete